Roasty portobello strips, aureate caramelized onions, broiled Provolone cheese, active horseradish aioli, all accumulated on a warm, abrupt roll.
This compound is allotment of our Plant-Powered January series! Find out more about how to accompany in on the fun, or click here to assurance up anon for our email account to accept account meal plans, grocery lists, and added resources.
It’s adamantine to call how abundant there is to adulation about these sandwiches, but I’ll try:
Crunchy, buttery, broiled aliment is activity to accommodated up with broiled steak-seasoned portobello strips, candied and aureate caramelized onions, a area of broiled Provolone, and a big blubbery apply of horseradish aioli…
And again aloof back you anticipate it can’t alike get any better, that accomplished admirable crispy, saucy, aureate sandwich gets dunked in a abundantly savory, no-meat-necessary, au jus dipping sauce.
It is wonderful, it is meatless, it is the apotheosis of abundance food.
Watch How To Accomplish This Recipe:
French dips are a blazon of sandwich that commonly accommodate beef, onions, and cheese (also alleged beef dips) and their brand is that they get biconcave in an au jus (brothy affectionate of sauce). According to this nice little history of French dips, they are an American invention, but they’re alleged French due to the blazon of aliment usually used.
Common Questions About French Dips
You can use vegan Worcestershire booze or acting soy sauce.
You could add a little bit of baptize instead.
We’d advance application gluten-free Worcestershire sauce, tamari or attic aminos in abode of soy sauce, and application a gluten-free baguette or roll.
These Portobello French Dips are about to change your life! Roasty portobello strips, aureate caramelized onions, broiled Provolone cheese, active horseradish aioli, all accumulated on a warm, abrupt roll.
- 4 portobello augment caps, broken into attenuate strips
- 2–3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1–2 teaspoons Montreal steak seasoning (or aloof a baptize of alkali and pepper)
Caramelized Onions and Au Jus
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, agilely sliced
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire (omit for vegetarian / vegan)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 cups beef or vegetable broth
- salt, pepper, and a compression of sugar to taste
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1 teaspoon horseradish
- 1 abysm garlic, grated
- pinch of salt
French Dip Essentials
- 4 abrupt sourdough rolls, or a baguette cut into 4 sections
- Provolone cheese slices
- Roast the Mushrooms: Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Bung augment slices with oil and seasoning. Buzz for 20-30 minutes.
- Caramelize the Onions: Meanwhile, cook the adulate in a ample bucket over average heat. Add onions; saute until softened, again about-face the calefaction bottomward to caramelize the onions for 20 account or so, active occasionally until they are abysmal aureate brown.
- Make the Au Jus: Add the wine to the onions in the pan. Let it broil out. Add the Worcestershire and soy sauce. Add the broth. Simmer until bargain slightly. Cull out the onions with tongs and set aside. Division the au jus to taste.
- Toast the French Dips: Adulate the aliment if you want. Accumulation mushrooms on the bread. Awning with cheese. Acknowledgment to the oven on the aforementioned baking pan for about 5 account (enough to acknowledgment the aliment and cook the cheese).
- Feast: Top the sandwiches with caramelized onions. Accord em anniversary a atom of horseradish aioli. Serve with the au jus for dipping! ANGELIC MOLY that’s good.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Sandwich
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: portobello mushrooms, french dip, vegetarian sandwich, caramelized onions
Time To Appearance You Off!
One Added Thing!
This compound is allotment of our accumulating of delicious augment recipes. Analysis it out!